|The Beginnings . . . making of an Indian multinational|
The Himalaya Drug Company was founded in 1930 by Mr. M. Manal with a clear vision to bring Ayurveda to society in a contemporary form and to unravel the mystery behind the 5,000 year old system of medicine. This included referring to ancient ayurvedic texts, selecting indigenous herbs and subjecting the formulations to modern pharmacological, toxicological and safety tests to create new drugs and therapies.
Eighty one years ago, on a visit to Burma, Mr. Manal saw restless elephants being fed with a root to pacify them. The plant from which this was taken is Rauwolfia serpentina. Fascinated by the plant's effect on elephants, he had it scientifically evaluated. After extensive research, Serpinaâ, the world's first anti-hypertensive drug, was launched in 1934.
The legacy of researching nature forms the foundation of Himalaya's operations. Himalaya has pioneered the use of modern science to rediscover and validate ayurveda's secrets. Cutting edge technology is employed to create pharmaceutical-grade ayurvedic products. As a confirmation that Himalaya is dedicated to providing the highest quality and consistency in herbal care, the Company was awarded an ISO 9001:2000 certification in 2003.
Since its inception, the company has focused on developing safe, natural and innovative remedies that will help people lead richer, healthier lives. Today, Himalaya products have been endorsed by 400,000 doctors around the globe and consumers in 90 countries rely on Himalaya for their health and personal care needs.
Starting off operations in Dehradun way back in the 1930s, the company later spread its wings to Mumbai and across the country. In 1975, the company set up an advanced manufacturing facility in Makali, Bengaluru, India. In 1991, the company relocated its R&D facility to Bengaluru. Himalaya Global Holdings Ltd. (HGH) is the global headquarters of all Himalaya subsidiaries.